Sunday, October 01, 2017

As Colombo once said



Just one more thing, As Colombo might say.
I bought 2 cars in Japan and imported them into Ireland, one car had only one key.

I asked around and was told that they were very hard to get.
I contacted my agent in Japan and they gave me a breakdown of €540 or near enough.
This price included a handling fee of €50.
Then there would be cost of shipping and local Irish taxes and no it would not be programmed.

So I soldiered on.

Autokey ! 
This must be the answer to my problem.
I went into their Swords branch where a Polish? guy started to serve me.
Then Darren took over. 
We have those keys on order they should be in next week.

I must have phoned back 10 times, now he called me John when he herd my voice.
Then it was "I will just check, I know they are in and I will ring you right back" 
at least 4 times this happened and he never rang back.

Then one day I rang the other branch.
"No we have no orders in for those keys at all, anyhow, they are not available". 

I was shocked and when I could I went out to Newlands cross to the head office to talk with the boss. 
The key as it turned out was never ordered.
We never got an inquiry for it.
The was no explanation as to why Darren lied to me.

Darren did ring me back later with the most stupid explanation and I wish I had it recorded.

Talking to another driver I found a locksmith in Mullhudart  who said "No problem"
I was away for 4 weeks and when I rang him back he said that my phone was not ringing out for some reason.
"I got that key the next day"

There is no problem getting those Keys Toyota Ireland have them in stock.
So there you have it 
Be sure you have a spare key for these modern cars.
If you loose one it could cost you €3000 to have it re keyed and the locks changed. 

Photo of his shop above. 

No comments:

Post a Comment